It's always so exciting starting a new project. I have wanted to make a rainbow quilt for quite a while now so took the plunge and started cutting. I bought a Sissix die cutter last year and I love it. It certainly made cutting out the rectangles far quicker than rotary cutting and because I folded the fabric I was able to cut 6 or 7 at a time so I have a nice pile of ready cut fabric for when I want to make another project.
I had already cut some red rectangles at the start of the year so up first was the yellow fabric:
Such pretty scraps - I can't bear to throw them away so they have been put aside for a rainy day!
For the first time ever I bought some fat 1/4s at the Festival of Quilts - it was wonderful to be cutting them straight away instead of stashing them on my shelves.
The oranges were next.
I finally got round to making up a design board. This one is very temporary but what a difference it made. Immediately upon putting the fabric on the board I could see that some fabrics just were not going to work whilst on the cutting mat they seemed to all tone together nicely. As you can I am short of one yellow fabric, which I think I have now rectified, and I am not entirely happy with the green column either .....
The general detritus that accumulates on a cutting table ....
A rainbow of scraps!
I started sewing the pieces together and really like the way it's coming together. There is going to be a very small white line between the two columns of the same colour with a wider sashing between the separate colours and I've then a couple of other ideas to play with.